In case of an outage:
- Check lights and appliances in entire dwelling.
- Check fuses or breakers in panel box.
- Check with neighbors to see if they have power.
- Call ANEC at (757) 787-9750 or (800) 431-2632 to report outage. Advise ANEC if there are any medical emergencies or if a standby generator is in use.
- Report any information such as sparking wires, downed power lines, trees on lines, etc., that may assist ANEC in restoring power.
- For your safety, do not touch any downed power lines. The lines should always be considered energized.
- When calling to report outage, provide name as appears on account, telephone number, and 911 or physical address.
During an Outage:
- Turn off large appliances to prevent damage once power is restored.
- Disconnect sensitive appliances such as VCR, television, computer, microwave, etc., to avoid damage from lightning or power surges.
- To prevent foods from spoiling, please refrain from opening your freezer and refrigerator. Foods contained in closed refrigeration will stay fresh for several hours.
Preparing for an Outage
- If you have a standby generator in use, be sure it is properly installed with a double-throw switch. A generator should not be installed directly to your main electrical panel. Please contact ANEC and we will visit your site to inspect your generator connection to ensure its safe installation. It is important ANEC is aware if generator is in use during outage.
- Have containers of water and non-perishable foods on hand. Always keep a supply of batteries for flashlights and radios.
- Remember to inform ANEC of any changes in telephone number, billing or physical address. This may be done by calling 757-787-9750 or 800-431-2632.
Hurricane Preparedness Tips